Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 13:14:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Spike Gronim <spork@cncn.com>
Cc:        fbsdqs <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Path and xdm configuration

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Spike Gronim wrote:

> Hello.
>
> 	I am having troubles with my path, on a 2.2.5 machine. My shell is
> tcsh. I login via xdm. This is my second FBSD machine, and I have never
> previously had problems with my path. I configureed XDM, got it working,
> and now login via xdm. The pertinent section of my .profile reads:
>
> PATH=/usr/games:/usr/home/spork:/home/spork:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/
> local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/home/spork/bin
> export PATH
>
> the pertinent section of .login contains:
>
> set path = (/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/games /usr/local/bin /usr/X11R6/
> bin /home/spork/bin)
>
> /home/spork/bin, /home/spork, and /usr/games are not being included in my
> path. Anybody know why not? (PS: my login name is spork)

xdm doesn't load your shell except in xterm's.  Make sure that the correct
shell is being loaded, and try moving your path into .profile or .cshrc,
whatever you use.

> Can I change the XDM startup screen?

Sure; see /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0.  I have it run xv to splat up a
background with some FreeBSD graphics and a big Chuck on the root ;)

> Where would I find other versions of it? Thank you.

There is one that comes with KDE, but it's not stable.