Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 07:36:30 -0600 (CST)
From:      Duo <duo@digitalarcadia.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>> No it doesen't.  There are open solutions that handle this well.
>
> Exchange handles it better, and it's one-stop shopping.

And, one stop shopping is not always the best course of action. In fact,
it's extremely limiting in alot of ways.

Another thing, Exchange may "have it all" as you say, but I say: the more
you overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the sink.

Exchange's many issues come from its bloated nature. I said it before, Ill
say it again: I'll take 4 or 5 different OSS services, that do the same
job as Exchange any day. I guarantee they will be more scalable, cheaper
TCO, and the developers will be far more receptive to my feedback than MS
ever will be.

> I did this for a living, and I heard and invalidated arguments like
> yours all the time.  There are always a few people with a frothing
> hatred for Microsoft who feel compelled to do everything some other
> way--any other way--as long as it avoids Microsoft, no matter how much
> time and complexity and difficulty it might involve.

And, the folks who buy into MS's embrace and extend are a dime a dozen. If
you want to evangelize exchange, id suggest you find a list for exchange.
The original post in this thread, was about emulating an environment in
which to run exchange. that's been answered, you on the other hand, seem
to me to be border line trolling.

What's more, even if your assesment of Exchange (that its the "best") is
correct, how can there ever be anything better, if people dont move to
other products with potential? If people do not support other methods of
solving the problem.

It's your attitude that perpetuates embrace and extend. It's your attitude
that promotes the continuation of the monopoly. And, when someone
disagrees with you for not wanting to give MS money, you "invalidate"
them. Which is just another term for "idiotize" in your eyes, I think.

> Fortunately, managers outside IT rarely have this obsession and will
> simply buy whatever does the job most effectively, and usually that is
> Exchange.  They can be influenced by salespeople to a certain extent,
> but when they are given objective data they tend to make objective
> decisions.

No, unfortunately, people outside IT, who have zero technical
understanding of the pandora's box they open, are making these choices.

> You haven't given any compelling reason _not_ to use Exchange.  The fact
> that it comes from Microsoft doesn't count.  For large organizations
> with complex e-mail architectures, Exchange is the clear leader.

The fact that Ted keeps asking you questions, that you sidestep, ignore,
and have yet to answer, is the reason. You should just drop your trolling,
unless you are willing to answer the questions posed to you. Everyone
answers your question, why cant you reciprocate? Oh, and one stop shopping
is not an answer either. Its a blankey generaliztion. Its what we refer to
in the real world as a "cop out".

--
Duo

Although the Buddhists will tell you that desire is the root of
suffering, my personal experience leads me to point the finger at system
administration.
 	--Philip Greenspun