Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 10:01:52 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Steve Warwick <ukla@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cron: mailing owner: how to stopit!

On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 06:34:26PM -0700, Steve Warwick wrote:

> I have several scripts that run very frequently and email the owner
> every time the script is run.

> I have gone through all the setup / config files but cannot figure
> out how to stop this from happening. Anyone have a list of locations
> I should look for this configuration / option?

cron will mail back any output on stdout or sterr from your scripts.
If you don't want this e-mail then you have three choices:

    i) Set the MAILTO= variable at the top of the crontab (See the
    crontab(5) man page).  This won't suppress the e-mail, just
    redirect it somewhere else.  Instead of choosing your least
    favourite user as a sacrificial victim, sending the mail to
    'nobody' will dispose of it humanely.  Even better, setting
    MAILTO="" will suppress e-mail output entirely.  Unfortunately
    that is rather a blunt instrument: you will be disposing of all of
    the e-mail generated by every job in the crontab.

    ii) Redirect the stdout and stderr of your command to a log file,
    or to /dev/null. Append ' >/dev/null 2>&1' to the end of the
    command line in the crontab to send all the output to oblivion, or
    ' >>/var/tmp/logfile 2>&1' to append it to a logfile.

    iii) (and this is my preferred method) Rewrite your scripts, or
    write a wrapper script around your commands so that they emit no
    output for a normal, successfully completed run.  On the other
    hand, should there be a problem, make your script print out as
    detailed a diagnostic error message as suits you.  That way, you
    only get e-mail when something goes horribly wrong.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK