Date:      Fri, 14 Oct 2011 11:54:05 +0300
From:      Gleb Kurtsou <gleb.kurtsou@gmail.com>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@nsu.ru>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Call for msdosfs/ntfs experts (or better, maintainers)

On (14/10/2011 01:16), Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> For quite a while already, our FAT and NTFS support need some love to
> shine on them, I believe.  AFAICT, they currently have no maintainers
> and thus are not receiving proper care.
>
> Case 1.  FreeBSD still has problems with UTF-8 locale and correct
> handling of e.g. Chinese characters in both filesystems.  Patches were
> worked out to address this problem; they are available here:
>
>     http://deadshot.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/freebsd-patch/filesystem/
>
> PR kern/133174 was filed on 29 Mar 2009 with the original patch for
> msdosfs, which I've cleaned up a bit per style(9).  No action was taken
> since then.
>
> I've contacted the original author of these patches.  He's very
> collaborative and is eager to provide all the guidance required to
> review and include these changes in our code base.  Any takers?  It's
> a shame for us not to be on par with Apple and even OpenBSD/NetBSD (as
> I've been told, they support UTF-8 out of the box).
>
> Case 2.  Apparently, Apple actually released their NTFS implementation
> under BSD license which seems quite worthy to take a look at:
>
>     http://opensource.apple.com/source/ntfs/ntfs-78/kext/
Sounds very interesting. I'd peek it up and do a FreeBSD port, but I
won't be able to start at least in two months. I've just started
reviewing and testing this year FUSE GSoC project. It works quite ok for
me (ntfs, encfs), no more random panics etc. But I was told it somewhat
reduces number of supported file systems. I'm going to publish it on
github soon.

Question remains if it's worth doing the port from darwin if we have
working fuse ntfs. How mature darwin implementation is?  Is there public
source repository with history?

attilio@ is working on MPSAFE NTFS:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/NONMPSAFE_DEORBIT_VFS