Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 07:44:27 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   option XSERVER deprecated?

No, apparently not. I notice that the GENERIC config in 2.1.0R had
option XSERVER commented out. Yet a (very) cursory look at the kernel
sources shows that XSERVER is still used and pcvt* is built differently
when it's defined.

(The X server did run on the GENERIC kernel just long enough build my
own kernel. I didn't try switching VTs though.)

Can I suggest that the kernel use the opposite logic, i.e. assume there
will be an X server and build accordingly? And for those who don't run X
there should be an option NOXSERVER.

If I did the work would it be accepted and incorporated into the next
release?

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY
X Consortium