Date:      Fri, 13 Apr 2001 19:32:24 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in (Rahul Siddharthan), kris@catonic.net (Kris Kirby), brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), chip@wiegand.org (Chip Wiegand), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: Just an observation - MUA's seen in the lists

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> types:
> > The thing to do would be to have separate startup scripts in
> > /usr/local/etc/rc.d or whatever for exchange, and ask the user to say
> > sendmail_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf (any competent sysad should know
> > to do that, surely?)
> No.  That is not to the level of ease of use which they require
> of a product which has tehir name on it.  Read their guidelines
> on the Microsoft Developer web site, some time.

Can you provide a URL for the document you're thinking about? There
seem to be a number of things, but I can't find anything with
specific, just general commentary. I'd really be interested in seeing
it, as every time I have to use Windows, I'm amazed at how clumsy and
unfriendly an interface this supposedly "user friendly" system has.

> > Besides, I don't think one should encourage them to port MS Exchange
> > for FreeBSD.  (Or MS Office, either, actually.  Unless it switches
> > to some open XML-based document format, as I read somewhere they're
> > planning to do.)
> Yeah, and while you are discouraging them from doing that,
> people are buying Windows for their desktops because of the
> average estimated $2,500 per seat that a company spends to
> train their employees not being portable to FreeBSD because
> the applications on FreeBSD don't follow the Windows style
> guidelines, and it's impossible to hire a temp worker who is
> already trained on the FreeBSD specific applications, but it's
> easy to hire someone trained on Office to fill in for a day
> down in your finance department.

That, of course, is why FreeBSD isn't going anywhere in an office. It
can't break the monopoly hold that MS has on the desktop.

> > > Really, FreeBSD is unsuitable for use as an MUA supporting
> > > desktop machine, unless your users are much more sophisticated
> > > than average.
> > I disagree.
> Of course you disagree.  You are a geek, not a secretary or a
> stock broker.

I admit I'm a geek, but I still disagree. Once it's installed and
configured, FreeBSD is perfectly usable by those people. It requires
no more training tha MS-Windows does. It is *perfectly* suitable for
supporting an MUA; there are no technical, usability or even intuitive
issues (but see Raskin on intuition) that make it inferior to
MS-Windows. The only problem it has is that finding people who have
already drunk the MS cool-aid is easy, whereas finding people trained
for some Unix toolset is hard.

Sure, the average MS-Windows user can't install or configure the
software on FreeBSD. Then again, the average MS-Windows user can't
install or configure the software on MS-Windows either, so that's sort
of moot.

> > The reason most users use windows is that they get it
> > pre-installed; they don't find it any easier to fix if they have a
> > problem.
> Sure they do:
> 1)	Call help desk
> 2)	Help desk reinstalls machine or brings you a replacement
> 	an ends in itself (like some geek)

Of course, this isn't an MS-Windows feature. The exact same fix works
in shops that install Unix on desktops.

> > I have installed linux (around 2 years ago, when the GUI's were
> > much less polished) for people having trouble with their
> > windows machines, and they're continuing to use that linux
> > installation to this day.
> They probably get pissed when they get a PowerPoint presentation,
> Excell spreadsheet, or Word document as an email atttachment.

That depens on the software that's been installed.

> Or you installed the entire shop that way, and they are a small
> closed shop that doesn't often communicate with other businesses in
> The Real World(tm)

I'm not positive, but my experience with MS Exchange indicate that
this argument implies everyone working in TRW has to have MS Exchange
as a mail server. I've had more problems with people using
Outlook/Exchange sending me mail with formatting information that
didn't survive Exchange's SMTP gateway than I have with people sending
MS Word docs or similar closed formats.

> > Netscape for email and web browsing,
> > Staroffice for basic word processing, KDE 1.0 desktop, and they're
> > quite happy.  Today, I'd go for FreeBSD with KDE 2.x; I agree that
> > I couldn't ask them to install it themselves, but if I did it for
> > them, I'm quite sure they'll be happy with the end results.
> If I'm buying an $16M package of sub-prime credit loans at a
> rediscounted rate form Credit Suisse-First Boston, you can be
> damn sure that the data they send to me is going to be in the
> form of an Excell spreadsheet.

And chances are that it'll load into StarOffice just fine.

> If you do business with _anyone_ else using your computers, you
> _can't_ live with a closed shop system.  That's jus the way
> business is.

In other words, to have an open shop, you have to use a closed
system. That's amusing.

	<mike