Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:18:24 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Vince Hoffman <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Gregor Mosheh <stigmata_blackangel@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure file transfers

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Gregor Mosheh wrote:

> I had a similar, perhaps related question. I'm making
> backups via tar to a SMB server, but I would rather
> use sftp/scp for it (the NAS supports both SMB and
> scp/sftp).
>
> I don't have enough disk space to make the backup to a
> tarchive and then scp that tarchive. Is there a way to
> make scp/sftp read from a pipe or stdin, rather than
> specific filenames? The docs haven't mentioned it, but
> since the subject came up I thought it worth asking...

Hmm the other way round is easy enough,
scp jhary@10.0.0.10:foo.tar.gz /dev/stdout | tar -ztf -

and either way with full ssh
tar -zcf - * |ssh jhary@10.0.0.10 "cat > foo.tar.gz"
cat foo.tar.gz |ssh jhary:10.0.0.1 "tar -zxf -"

I hope some of this might help as i cant think of a way to do as you
want.

Vince