Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 1999 01:26:45 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        "Mike Smith" <mike@smith.net.au>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tuning the system's clock

> > The TSC is calibrated at boot time using the RTC; that calibration is
> > inherently limited to the accuracy of the RTC.
>
> 	Exactly. The RTC is accurate to maybe 150 ppm. The other problem is that
> this calibration occurs right after power up, when the system is 'cold'.
> It's not going to be representative of the system's 'warm' rate either.

That assumes that you don't pause the system to allow it to warm up
first. 8)

> 	For one thing, the TSC oscillator can be replaced with a high-precision
> OCXO. But that won't help you if you can't tune the TSC divisor, will it?
> (Of course, XNTP would be the right tool for this purpose.)

Actually, I don't think you'd have any luck replacing the TSC
oscillator without a lot of nasty boardwork; many applications these
days are using programmable frequency synthesisers using embedded
crystals in the 10-40MHz range; I've seen others using cheap NTSC
colourburst crystals and even a couple using 32kHz watch crystals.

> 	In any event, tuning the TSC divisor via sysctl causes my FreeBSD-STABLE
> machine to reboot instantly. I've just found that NTP seems to work the best
> when the system is already keeping pretty good time.

This is definitely a bug.  Have you spoken to Poul about it yet?  The
"instant reboot" sounds particularly unpleasant; it should be fairly
straightforward to track it down though.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org