Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:21:05 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        lcremean@tidalwave.net
Cc:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Matt Edwards <insane1@geocities.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PnP PCI modem

> On Wed, Dec 30, 1998 at 01:27:02AM -0500, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
> > > Allright, so I've rebuilt my kernel, it supports my PCI video card, and
> > > my ISA COM ports.  How do I make FreeBSK recognize a Plug&Play PCI
> 								   ^^^
> > > modem?  In WINNT it set up on COM3 on a high IRQ (10 I think) and I
> > > can't make it install anywhere else.
> > > Thanx.
> >
> > First of all, if you have a WinModem (e.g., a modem without a brain that
> > relies on the system CPU to do a bunch of work), then you're just screwed
> > and you should stop torturing yourself right now.

It could be neat if we start collecting info on "WinModems" : manufacturer,
board, chipset, etc...

I doubt that they offload that much work to the cpu most likely the chipsets
are very similar to the bt848 for which the control program logic resides
in the cpu if such is the case then is a matter of tracking down the specs
for the chipsets.

	Cheers,
	Amancio