Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 1996 15:42:33 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDT 77201 buffer size opinions wanted

FWIW, this is what I'm doing for the ATM driver I'm writing (for a
Digital designed ATM card).

The card uses 3 buffer sizes, the smallest is for a single cell.
The middle is programmable and will set to 256 bytes initially
(I may make it larger based on experience).  The large size will
be 4KB (ie. one page).

I plan on using wrapping the buffers in external mbufs.  This will
require changing the current method of reference counting to the
much flexible method used in OSF/1 (the m_ext structure contains
a circular queue which contains all external mbufs that reference
this data).

The driver is merely a data pusher.  It has some calls for dealing
with setup of VCs but they are very basic.  I plan on something
like:

int (*vc_create)(unsigned vpi, unsigned vci, enum type, vc_token_t *vc_p);
int (*vc_set_attr)(vc_token_t vc, vc_attr_t, ...);
int (*vc_aal5_transmit)(vc_token_t vc, void *kva, size_t *len, int flags);
int (*vc_destroy)(vc_token_t vc);

Above the driver will a set of adapter-independent code which handle
the CLIP, LANE, and raw character device interface to an adapter, and
eventually ATM signalling code.

Since the CLIP/LANE drivers really correspond to the ifnet layers,
I've created another list for the ATM devices.

Initially, I just plan on doing the data movement part and the character
cell interface (ie. the minimal amount to device "working").  After
that, who knows?  Probably CLIP support.
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt.html
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: I disavow all knowledge of this message