Date:      11 Mar 96 14:52:43 GMT
From:      peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libtelnet needs to be bumped!

gclarkii@neon.nwpros.com (Gary Clark II) writes:

>Hi,

>I just got bit somehow with telnetd telling me something like encrypt_debug_??
>not defined.  This is in stables libtelnet and not releases.  Should we
>not bump it 2.1 vice 2.0?

>Gary

Have you ever installed the compat2x distribution?  It's been known to cause
this kind of problem..

Also, removing a symbol is a 'major' revision bump, not a minor.  Which
library used to define the symbol in question?  Is it possible that some other
library (eg: libkrb) has changed at some point to define the new symbol, and
libtelnet now refers to it (meaning libkrb should be bumped, not libtelnet).

Or perhaps one of the libraries refered to a global symbol in the executable
itself, and the executable changed to not define the symbol anymore and the
library had not been installed yet..  If this is the case, no version bumps
are needed.

-Peter