Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 08:40:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        wes@softweyr.com (Wes Peters)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), rjesup@wgate.com, mwm@mired.org (Mike Meyer), dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), josb@cncdsl.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DJBDNS vs. BIND

> > I would argue that human recovery is not a useful scenario, even
> > in the absence of a backup.
>
> Which flies in the face of every system recovery ever attempted, including
> the one I got to do last week.  Even if you just finished a full backup
> of the system when it crashed/got killed, some files may be out of date.

You are thinking about systems which have sufficient exposed
complexity that there are likely to be operators on hand to
do the job; the incremental costs of doing the job are, I
think, unrelated.  A storage format and appropriate tools to
allow severable partial recovery of the data by a human are
generally enough.

Basically, this means that binary data is not the issue, easy
human recovery in this situation is.

I'd also argue that this situtation itself is increasingly
rare.  In an embedded system running FreeBSD, for example, the
only time an operator with the necessary capability will see
te data, one way or another, is in a post mortem of a returned
system.  This means that the vast majority of cases require
the ability to perform automatic "best guess" recovery, at a
minimum, or "last change state rollback" (effectively, working
configuration versioning), at best.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---