Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:46:27 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Judge: "Gates Was Main Culprit"

> "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com> writes:
>
> > 	Yes, and they crushed it by putting out a superior product.
> What is wrong
> > with that?
>
> Nothing, but IE is not a superior product.  Superiority is never defined
> as taking advantage of `internal' knowledge of the OS, in order to make
> a program load faster.

	Ahh, I see. Superior has nothing to do with user experience. Superior is to
be judged by experts according to arcane principles. That's much better than
letting the market decide.

> For instance, half if not more of the IE
> libraries (aka DLLs in the Windows world) are loaded because they are
> part of the base OS of MS.  That makes IE `seem' to load faster than
> other Web browsers, because a large part of it is already loaded.  This
> is not superiority, it's plain good ol' cheating.

	Cheating is a great way to make a product better. All the user cares about
is the user experience. If integrating IE into Windows improves the user
experience, then that's a legitimate reason to do it.

	You may consider some of Microsoft's innovations cheating, but that's not
your decision to make.

	Go ahead, take memory management out of the OS. Take disk compression out.
How far do you want to set us back?

> And more examples
> like this one can be found at closer inspection, like those rumours that
> non-MS products are offered the great honour of a few extra wait-states
> by the scheduler of the OS in question, which is another way of making
> all the _others_ look like they're tooo slooow when compared to ma' MS's
> finely intergrated products, etc. etc.

	Look, it's Microsoft's operating system. If they didn't want to sell it at
all, no one could force them to. If you like it, use it. If not, don't. But
do you really want the government telling Microsoft how to design its
products?

> Superiority is also a funny word to use for a browser that runs on one
> and only OS, when that other inferior browser runs on a dozen different
> platforms.  Ok, Motif sucks in X11, and I would prefer Mozilla to be
> using Troll's Qt library or even GTK+ if that matters at all, but then
> again who am I to push my own humble opinion on Mozilla crowd?

	Look, IE is superior. Period. Anyone who has used both browsers, and who is
honest, will tell you that. There have been dozens of browser shootouts.
Pretty much every single one of them (after IE4 was released) has concluded
the same thing. The market concluded the same thing.

> > > MS has not changed, and will not change unless forced.
> >
> > Of course not. And thanks to them, we have an incredibly competitive
> > computer software industry.
>
> Competition is another truly controversial subject, especially when
> based on what I called _internal_ knowledge (see above).

	A company should use every resource at its command to provide the best
products possible to its customers and the most competition. Technological
leverage is the bedrock of pretty much every high tech company. They all ask
"how can we take the technology, expertise, and knowledge we have and use it
to make new and better products". If that is a crime, then innovation is
over.

> > Harmful to consumers? Please -- show me any evidence of monopoly harm
> > to consumers. (Do you know what monopoly harm is? Or am I wasting my
> > breath?)  Show me reduced output. Show me higher prices. Show me
> > reduced quality.
>
> Compare the price of running Netscape on *BSD, with that of running IE
> on Windows.  Both browsers are free, but with IE you find yourself in a
> lack of choises.  You absolutely _must_ use Windows to have IE running,
> even if you would prefer to run *BSD as your primary desktop OS.

	Neither Netscape nor FreeBSD are commercial products. I'm talking about
comparing Windows to other commercial operating systems.

	Do you think you could start a company, build an proprietary operating
system from the ground up, and sell it for prices that compete with
Microsoft? Of course not. Microsoft can only do so because its enormous
volume gives it tremendous economies of scale. That makes it nearly
impossibe to compete with Microsoft.

	This is how competition is _supposed_ to work.

> Monopoly harm begins when you start to get your choises limited, and the
> choise of one's operating system is IMHO a very fundamental one.

	But you have the choice of numerous operating systems. Most people choose
Windows simply because they find it superior for the tasks they need to
solve. Build a better operating system, and nothing Bill Gates can do will
stop you from ultimately triumphing in the market. But Microsoft is powerful
and is a fiendish competitor. This is a successful market.

> > And in any event, killing the competition is what companies are
> > supposed to do. Our antritrust laws exist to _ensure_ the most
> > vigorous competition possible.
>
> Forgive me if I am wrong, but companies are not supposed to "kill"
> competition.

	Yes, they are. They are supposed to compete so effectively that their
competitors have to provide better products at lower prices or go out of
business. That's a strong, competitive economy.

> Instead, they are supposed to create superior products, in
> order to be in the head of it.  If someone finds the resources, the
> will, or the ideas to create the next superior product, other companies
> are certainly not supposed to "kill" anyone, but rather try to create
> something of their own with the quality that will ensure their
> superiority and give them a larger market share.  Perhaps this would
> seem too idealistic in a world like ours though.

	There is nothing a company can do to stop consumers from buying a better
product at a lower price. The hard part is producing a better product for a
lower price.

	I'm going to try to get some essays on the Findings of Fact up at
http://youknow.youwant.to/ms ASAP.

	DS