Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 1995 11:10:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      James Robinson <james@hermes.cybernetics.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: 2.0 Install comments

OK -- specifying the IP address would have worked as well (Ah, hindsight), but
a comment to that effect (or a way to tailor a mini /etc/hosts) would have
been that extra bit of gravy that really made thanksgiving special, you know
:-) ?

One other thing which may or may not be widespread (but happened on both the
machines I was installing on). I could not use a method of network installation
that used TCP. I could not do the ftp option (it would not work). I escaped
into a subshell and tried to manually ftp as well as just telnet to a site,
and things acted really strangely:

	1) Connection would be established fine -- it asked for my login name
		w/o a problem.

	2) When it came to the password, the connection just hung. I cranked up
		TCPdump on a local machine, and it showed that the machine
		running the 2.0 install was still sending packets, but no
		replies / acks were being generated. This occurred with all
		sorts of destination machines -- VMS, OSF, as well as FreeBSD.

		As fate would have it, it would be the "PASS XXXXX" packet of
		the ftp session that would get resent over and over. Talk
		about the need to get cleartext off of the network :-)!

This sounds a lot like the problem that the person is having with the DECserver.
All I know is that it went away once the installation was completed. The only
funny thing here is the lack of DNS. Opinions / explanations?

Installation over NFS worked great (I thought, hmmm -- UDP used here, mabye
it'll work. Thankfully so!)

James