Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 20:45:27 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-python@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Reinstalling Python with mod_python Problem

Colin Alston wrote:
 > beno wrote:
 > > It's been years since I've done this. I had a programmer working for me
 > > who disappeared one day, and now I'm taking over his responsibilities. I
 > > need to re-configure Apache for mod_python which means I have to rebuild
 > > python. I'm working with the latest distro. I'm heavily dependent on
 > > zope, so all this has to work together. Platform is FreeBSD 5.3. I have
 > > the following questions:
 >
 > Sadly... no, thats not right. Thankfully! mod_python is highly
 > deprecated and no longer maintained.

That's not true, fortunately.  mod_python3 is certainly
not deprecated, and it's actively maintained.  The latest
version of mod_python is 3.2.8.

 > one of the new platforms such as Twisted, or using a CGI solution.

Twisted is a complex monster, and CGI solutions are slow,
that's the exactly the reason why mod_python exists.

Django is pretty cool to easily develop web applications
(see www.djangoproject.com, it's under a BSD license).
Its authors explicitly recommend to run it with apache2 +
mod_python3, by the way.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The last good thing written in C was