Date:      Fri, 7 Feb 2003 11:22:30 -0000
From:      "local.freebsd.questions" <freebsd-questions-local@insignia.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: browsing windows drives with samba

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003 19:17:29 -0000 , nyogtha@flipp.net ("Aslak Evang")
wrote:

>I've used samba a lot for browsing my freebsd drives with my windows pc's,
>but whats the best way to do it the other way around? I've read about
>smbclient, but I've been told in Linux there are kernel modules you can
>load to be able to browse windows network shares like you would "normally"
>in a windows network neighbourhood. Is something like that availiable for
>FBSD? Also I've heard that there's some sort of app for KDE that let's you
>do it as well? Can anyone enlighten me?

xftree (part of the xfce window manager/desktop) has a "Browse
SMB Network" facility. Works great in the NT domain environment here.

xftree was the reason why I switched from fluxbox to xfce. I don't
like the CDE-like panel you get with it but you can minimise that
as long as you can find another way of starting xftree easily (I map
it to one of the Windows keys which are otherwise unused).