Date:      Mon, 7 Apr 1997 18:44:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Wayne M. Barnes" <wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu>
To:        freebsd-bugs@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   conf/3123 conf/3109 conf/3088

Dear Free BSDers,

     The reason you haven't heard complaining from me for a while is that
I was finally able to update to FreeBSD 2.2.1.

     Thank you for suggesting that I make world.  This finally worked.
     Thanks to Joerg Wunsch, Justin Gibbs, and Gary Palmer.
See only one minor bug near the end of my script below.

     The following would have been a good answer to a poor user like
me who wished to execute an update (called upgrade by the
/stand/sysinstall menu).  Recall that my system will not boot properly from
a floppy, which is some sort of incompatiblity with Dell or ATAPI CD,
so I don't have the option to try sysinstall for an update.
Even if I had tried sysinstall, it probably would have trashed my /etc
directory, which the procedure below left intact.  (I had backed /etc up,
but I didn't need anything from the backup.)

# A LONG BUT RELIABLE WAY TO UPDATE TO A NEW LEVEL OF FreeBSD

# The following might even execute as a shell script, but it is much
# wiser to print this out and execute it by hand, since this
# script may contain errors, or may encounter errors, yet go on to trash
# your system.

# become root
su

mkdir /wuarchive
mount wuarchive.wustl.edu:/archive /wuarchive
cd /wuarchive/systems/unix/FreeBSD/2.2.1-RELEASE
mv /usr/src /usr/src.old
mkdir /usr/src.2.2.1
ln -s /usr/src.2.2.1 /usr/src
ls -laF /usr
cd src
sh install.sh all
# This takes about an hour
cd /usr/src
umount /wuarchive
make world
# This takes about 5 hours
echo Time to make a new kernel, boss.
# cat ~wayne/KERNELS/kernel.hlp
cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
vi KERNELfile
# start with GENERIC, rename it, and delete lines you don't need.
# You might want to add some lines.  For ideas, inspect the file LINT.
# Change the name of the configuration from GENERIC.  Use no arabic numbers.
config KERNELfile
cd ../../compile/KERNELfile
make depend
make
make install
reboot
# Try xwindows, after logging in:
startx
# Oops, it crashes.  Fix it with
cd /usr/lib
ln -s compat/libgnumalloc.so.2.0 libgnumalloc.so.2.0
# Everything else seems to work just fine.  How do I turn off those
# damn fortune cookies, when they start to bug me?

Wayne M. Barnes, Ph.D.                        wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu
Biochemistry Dept. 8231                   or  barnes@biodec.wustl.edu
Washington Univ. Medical School               314.362.3351  fax 7183
660 South Euclid Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110
           http://mbb.wustl.edu/~barnes/