Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 12:55:15 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com>
To:        Artem Okounev <aokounev@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inet_aton() Bug or feature?

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 04:00:26PM +0300, Artem Okounev wrote:

> To my great surprise I found out that:
> ping 192.168.0.26,
> ping 192.168.0.032,
> and even ping 192.168.0.0x1a - all correct commands doing
> the same thing: pinging 192.168.0.26.

Yep.

> That was my problem. IP addresses was stored in text file in
> the  form of 192.168.000.032, and after issuing command: arp
> - -s  192.168.000.032  xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx  (which  actually was
> treated as arp -s 192.168.0.26) I had a great headache.

That should be pretty easy to fix in your script.

> After  some investigation I found that both ping and arp use
> inet_aton()  libc  call to interpret their command arguments
> into    network    format.    Futher,    inet_aton()    uses
> strtoul(c,&endptr,  0)  for  each  octet  in  IP  address to
> convert string representation of number to unsigned long.
>
> Why not to use strtoul(x, x, 10) and fix aforementioned
> confusing thing with arp/ping/...? Does anybody write
> command arguments to ping using octal or hex format :)?
>
> I am not hacker. Just curious.

This is a feature not a bug since it is documented in inet_aton(3),

     All numbers supplied as ``parts'' in a `.' notation may be decimal,
     octal, or hexadecimal, as specified in the C language (i.e., a leading 0x
     or 0X implies hexadecimal; otherwise, a leading 0 implies octal; other-
     wise, the number is interpreted as decimal).

People use this notation all of the time,

  # ifconfig if0 172.16.1.10 netmask 0xffffff00