Date:      27 Feb 2003 13:23:28 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: O'Reilly apologizes for calling BSD "Free Software"

At least until recently, "Free Software" was (essentially) any software
which could be legally distributed as part of a GPLed derivative, i.e.,
software which is "GPL compatible".  (No joke.)

It is debatable whether BSD-licensed software meets that test, but
almost everyone thinks it does, which is almost as good.  (Most people
readily interpret the "each and every part" clause to their own
advantage.  Specifically, they read "the distribution of the whole must
be on the terms of this License" as "the distribution of the whole must
be on the terms compatible with this License".)

I saw the statement from an anonymous poster claiming that RMS now has a
second, more narrow definition of "Free Software" which (I'm guessing)
is something like "Copyleft Software".  That would mean that public
domain software is not "Free Software".  I'm very dubious.  Anyone have
a quote from one of the top copyleftists that would exclude BSD or PD
software from their "Free Software" category?

As for the meaning of "Free Software", let me just note that these are
the same people who say that GPLed software is "freely redistributable
under the terms of the GPL"; i.e., they say self-contradictory nonsense
which people are expected to learn to interpret with a true meaning,
while retaining the psychological advantages of using words like
"freely".  (Same thing with "non-proprietary" which really means "in the
public domain", but which they've trained people to use when they mean
"GPL compatible".  BSD people should be able to recognize that software
which may not be used in a closed-source derivative surely qualifies as
"proprietary".)