Date:      Fri, 08 Oct 1999 22:09:30 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Online discussion style (Was: Targeting the server...)

At 01:07 AM 10/9/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>There is a particular aspect to your style, evidenced by the
>"Comments?" invitation, that has a social tendency to be taken
>as you attempting to challenge the status quo.

How would you have invited people to comment? Or do you think
that the mere posting of the information was sufficient
invitation to comment?

>If you could merely provide the information, without editorializing
>it, I think that people would be more receptive.

I tried to avoid editorializing in the initial posting. I gave only
a brief introduction for context; the rest of the post was a
paraphrase of this fellow's remarks, based on my notes. I tried
to be as accurate as I could.

>I also think you have a tendency to defend with zeal ideas which
>require a more politic and less knee-jerk defense, if they are
>to be accepted.

I'll fully admit that I tend to like animated (though still civil)
discussions. I often get flamed, though, because certain people
(not everyone!) interpret spirited discussion as a challenge. I'm
not sure how to avoid this! I'd like to convey my enthusiasm for
online discussion without turning threads into flame wars, if
there's a way to do that.

>If you could take a page from that URL you posted about the
>"Critique of Vulgar Raymondism", and in particular, the
>referenced link about Lysenkoism, you would probably be more
>effective in communicating on -advocacy.

Hmmm. I wasn't the one who posted the link; I think it was Wes
Peters. I'm not sure, however, what you mean about the reference
to Lysenkoism. Could you explain?

>Now people might say "Terry is one to talk...", but I think my
>own position is more akin to that of Jamie Zawinski.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Jamie Zawinski, as
I recall, recently burned out on running the Mozilla project.

--Brett