Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 02:25:44 -0500
From:      Chris Johnson <cjohnson@palomine.net>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP pendantic primer misses a step?

On Sun, Nov 15, 1998 at 08:02:56PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 14 Nov 98, at 22:55, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> > >Tonight I helped a chap out getting his network card running.  He
> > >couldn't get ifconfig to show an IP address.  He claimed to be doing
> > >everything in the manual.  I suggested he do the following manually:
> > >
> > >ifconfig ed0 192.168.0.98 255.255.255.0

> > >Is this a step which must be first done manually?
> >
> > It is done vi rc.conf on my box.
>
> Sorry.  I omitted that point in my original post.  The user had something
> like:
>
> ifconfig_ed1="inet 192.168.0.98  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> in /etc/rc.conf.  But until the above mentioned step was done manually,
> ifconfig -a did not show an IP address.
>
> I admit my details are sketchy.  I was helping someone on IRC and I
> probably do not have all the details.  I also seem to recall being told
> that an ifconfig had to be done once, manually, to initialise things.
>
> Does any of this ring true to anyone?

No. When the box is booted, "ifconfig ed1 inet 192.168.0.98 netmask
255.255.255.0" is run from /etc/rc.network (given the line from /etc/rc.conf
you provided above), exactly as if you'd run it manually from a shell prompt.

Is the interface really ed1? I notice the command line you gave above is for
ed0. This would explain ed0 not being configured when the box is booted up.

Chris