Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2011 00:38:34 +0200
From:      Olivier Smedts <olivier@gid0.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using mergemaster to keep /etc/localtime updated

2011/3/28 Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>:
> I'm starting a new thread since while the previous one contained a lot of
> good information it was starting to get a big fragmented, and as someone
> pointed out mergemaster is not a general solution so I want to focus on t=
he
> area that I'm actually responsible for. :)
>
> Having read everything in the thread (and thanks to all who contributed,
> btw) my current plan is to add some code to the end (in the section that
> deals with things like running cap_mkdb if you update login.conf) to do t=
he
> following. Please let me know if this sounds reasonable, or if I'm missin=
> something:
>
> 1. If /var/db/zoneinfo exists, check to see if /etc/localtime is the same=
 as
> /usr/share/`cat /var/db/zoneinfo` and if not, prompt the user to run
> tzsetup.
> 2. If /var/db/zoneinfo does not exist,

and /etc/localtime is not a symlink to a tz file ?

> check to see if kern.osreldate is
> after the date that the code was added, and if so, prompt the user to run
> tzsetup.

So how would mergemaster behave after a fresh "make installworld
distribution" in an empty DESTDIR ? Isn't it supposed to do nothing in
this case, because all should already be up-to-date ?

> 3. If /var/db/zoneinfo does not exist, and the new code has not been adde=
> yet, attempt to determine the right answer, and create a /var/db/zoneinfo
> file. (Note, I do not look forward to writing that bit.) :)
>

> Sound reasonable?
>
> Doug
>
> --
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Nothin' ever doesn't change, but nothin' changes much.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0-- OK Go
>
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Breadth of IT experience, and depth of knowledge in the DN=
S.
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Yours for the right price. =A0:) =A0http://SupersetSolutio=
ns.com/

"

--=20
Olivier Smedts=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=A0 _
=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
 =A0 ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
e-mail: olivier@gid0.org=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 - against HTML email & vCards=A0 X
www: http://www.gid0.org=A0 =A0 - against proprietary attachments / \

=A0 "Il y a seulement 10 sortes de gens dans le monde :
=A0 ceux qui comprennent le binaire,
=A0 et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas."