Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 96 10:14:26 +0700
From:      "Victor A. Sudakov" <victor@vas.tomsk.su>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, softweyr@xmission.com
Subject:   Re: "talk" does not work. Please help.

>    > For example, it will be 10.0.0.1 on the ed0 device (LAN) and
>    > dynamic IP address on the tun0 device. How do I make sure that
>    > no packets from the internal network 10.0.0.x should squeeze
>    > into the Internet? How do I ensure that my local address
>    > 10.0.0.1 is not visible in the Internet when I am online? Is
>    > there no kind of routing between interfaces enabled by default?
>    > Do I have to change anything in /etc/sysconfig?
>
>   Make sure you *didn't* tell your machine to be a router.  By default,
>   the TCP/IP code will not automatically "forward" packets from one
>   interface to another.  Turning on routing in /etc/sysconfig will
>   enable this capability, which you don't want.

Where exactly do I turn routing on and off in /etc/sysconfig?

>    > It is not my case so I am just curious. As far as I am
>    > concerned I always prefer to have a domain name of my own, not
>    > just a mailbox somewhere. Besides, UUCP as a mail transfer
>    > protocol is still very popular here in Russia.
>

>   I haven't worked with UUCP since 1991, but it does a remarkably good
>   job if getting mail and news around when the networking infrastructure
>   isn't in place but the phone system works.  Once upon a time, I owned

Here in Russia, UUCP is very popular. There is a very good and
popular freeware UUCP client for MS-DOS called UUPC by Ache. A
lot of people would not easily give UUCP up because you
can have as many mailboxes as you wish, you can add and delete
users without asking your provider every time you want to add a
user. I value this freedom very much, so do a lot of people
here. So most providers, at least here in Tomsk, would by
default give you a domain name.

>   an 8Mhz 286 running System V Release 2 and was a minor UUCP Usenet
>   routing node, carrying a daily 2.5 Mb news feed over 2400 baud modems.
>   I like what I have now much better, but UUCP got me on-line *long*
>   before being on-line was "cool."  ;^)

I began as a Fidonet point at the time when Internet was exotic
in Russia. You would not believe how much have changed here of
late.

But this is already off topic, sorry ;-)

---
Victor A. Sudakov                          E-mail: victor@vas.tomsk.su
Center of Information Technologies         FidoNet: 2:5005/49
Tomsk Region Education Department          Telephone: +7 3822 224916
Tomsk, Russian Federation                  Telefax:   +7 3822 225912