Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 12:05:04 -0400
From:      Lanny Baron <lnb@FreeBSDsystems.COM>
To:        tatzlwurm dragon <tatzlwurm@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade steps of FreeBSD 4.2 to 4.3

Hello,
Install cvsup. cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-bin; make (when finished, make install).

Edit your make.conf (/etc/make.conf) so that when you type make update, your src files are updated. You may want to put the following in /etc/make.conf:

SUP_UPDATE=     yes
#
SUP=            /usr/local/bin/cvsup
SUPFLAGS=       -g -L 2
SUPHOST=        cvsup.FreeBSD.org
SUPFILE=        /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile
SUPFILE1=       /usr/share/examples/cvsup/www-supfile
PORTSSUPFILE=   /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
DOCSUPFILE=     /usr/share/examples/cvsup/doc-supfile

Edit your stable-supfile. vi /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile and make
sure the line:
*default host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org is changed to something like:
*default host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.ORG
save the file.

Also edit /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile and the doc-supfile or www-supfile for the *default host=

When this has been done, cd /usr/src and as root, type make update
That will begin your upgrade. When it is finished (it will let you know), you can then type make world or you can upgrade in steps.
1) make buildworld
2) make buildkernel
3) make installworld
4) make installkernel