Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 13:30:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: i386/1260: wd probe take unusually long (45s ea) on ASUS Triton II

The following reply was made to PR i386/1260; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, terryl@iago.ienet.com
Cc:  Subject: Re: i386/1260: wd probe take unusually long (45s ea) on ASUS Triton II
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 06:20:21 +1000

 >	wd0 probe takes 45 seconds and wd1 takes 40 seconds to report not
 >	found.  I have nothing on these IDE controllers.

 This is more or less required.  Probing in parallel isn't possible with
 current probe technology, and the ATA spec says that a wait of 31 seconds
 is required after reset.  The driver is buggy and only waits 10 seconds
 after reset, but it also waits 10 seconds before reset and retries the
 reset, giving a total wait of 40 seconds per controller.

 >>Fix:

 Disable the unused controllers in the BIOS, or disable the unused drivers
 in the kernel config.

 Bruce