Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 1996 17:32:45 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), wollman@lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Plan for integrating Secure RPC -- comments wanted

>> > Better to just fix the LKM mechanism to not need it...  There are ways
>> > to do this, but they are all sort of unappealing.
>>
>> Yeah, I've heard the "move ld into the kernel" arguments too.
>>
>> That's why I was suggesting this as an interim work-around solution.
>
>mmap() the loader into the address space of the moload process, and
>call it from kernel mode.

   That won't work for a variety of reasons. For one thing, the kernel is
not going to like demand paging (COW, zero-fill, regular page faults) in the
context of the kernel. For another, the kernel stack is of finite size and
can't deal with typical programs. Using the user's stack is "a major problem"
in it's own right.

-DG

David Greenman