Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:39:34 -0500
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        <jacks@sage-american.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: high speed internet connection and lesstif question

There is a long and convoluted explanation for that.  I may be a bit off,
but Brian Somers cleared me up on a lot of things wrt this earlier on this
week, so here's everything in one place for the benefit of the archives.

In the beginning, you had to have 'options NETGRAPH' in the kernel to use
any of the netgraph widgets, and widgets could be dynamically loaded when
you needed them.  (So, for PPPoE, it would dyanmically load the pppoe,
socket and ether widgets, with the base netgraph module being part of the
kernel.)  This worked just fine in 3.4-RELEASE, but broke in 4.0-RELEASE
(and remains so.)

The handbook was then updated to say that you needed to have all four
netgraph options compiled into your kernel.  This would ensure that it would
never have to dynamically load modules and bail out.

Somewhere after 4.0-REL (between 4.2-REL and 4.3-REL?), the FreeBSD gods
made some changes so 'options NETGRAPH' *wasn't* required in your kernel
anymore - it too could be loaded dynamically.  So if you didn't have
anything in your kernel and wanted to use PPPoE, the 'ppp' program would
dynamically load the required modules and all would be well.

In summary, to use PPPoE now, you don't need to modify your kernel --
everything will be loaded on the fly.  However, if you want to have the
support statically-linked in your kernel, be sure to add all 4 required
components for PPPoE, otherwise you'll have problems.

--
Matt Emmerton

> <snip>
> Really? This is still goofy? I re-read over the PPPoE section in the
> handbook and was happy to see you could just run with it without
compiling.
> I wonder why the handbook would suggest recompiling the kernel with the
four
> options is not required when you say it is? Odd.
> <snip>
>
> Ver 4.4 (and I believe 4.3) will indeed take care of the NETGRAPH stuff,
> but has to load it on the fly if not compiled into the kernel.... prior ro
> 4.3, I believe it HAS to be compiled.
>
> At 03:39 PM 11.22.2001 -0500, ScaryG wrote:
> >> I believe your [Fuji Zhang's] best bet is to forget the USB,
> >> part with you're $25 -> $30 (CDN) and pick up an
> >> ethernet card. Make sure it's on this list:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.4-RELEASE/HARDWARE.TXT

> > Couldn't agree more!
> >
> >> A few good reasons to stick with Ethernet:
> >>
> >> - It will also work with a cable modem if you decide to try Rogers/Shaw
> >> - or any other ISP's DSL package
> >> - If you decide to share the connection with more than 1 computer via
BB