Date:      Sat, 25 Aug 2001 14:48:16 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <LConrad@Go2France.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Secondary DNS Transfers

>This won't guarentee that the zone actually was loaded by the secondary,
>just that it transferred to it.

Ted, you disappoint me.  :)))

When the slave transfers the zone file, AND loads it (I´ve never heard of
the two operations NOT occurring in conjunction, have you?), named will log
the name of the zone and the new serial number as it loads into
authoritative memory.  Can´t get much better guarantee than that.

>The very best way to test that the secondary is in operation WITHOUT
>calling the admin is to simply shut down the primary namserver for a
>couple of days.

you´re having a bad day, Ted!! :))

After looking in the slave´s named.run log file to confirm the zone has
transferred and loaded, doubting Thomases can do this:

dig @slave.dns  zone.in.question SOA

and see immediately if the SOA s/n is same as on the master.  Using the
"readable" ccyymmddxx format for the serial number facilitates checking.

>If at the end of it the secondary is still properly answering queries
>then your good to go.  Of course, you want to be testing this from a 3rd
>system
>elsewhere.  This duplicates the Real Life environment almost exactly.

Taking down a DNS primary for some days to see if the slave is answering is
not an efficient validation. And anyway, the slave will answer with
whatever copy of the zone file it has, which is not necessarily the
master´s version.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K