Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 11:52:50 +0200
From:      Steve Mazerski <smazerski@yahoo.co.jp>
To:        sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Win2K Frontpage clients unable to connect to apache with Frontpage extensions

On Saturday 20 July 2002 10:56, Stacey Roberts wrote:
> Hello,
>      I've just setup my apache webserver with Frontpage server extensio=
> support, but I am unable to connect to apache from the Win2K clients on
> the lan.
>
> Here's what appears in /var/log/messages:
>
> [Sat Jul 20 09:46:23 2002] [error] [client lan PC IP] web root owned by
> privileged user: /usr/local/www/data/_vti_bin/shtml.exe
> /usr/local/etc/apache $

I know nothing of the Frontpage extensions (but boy do I see  lot of
requests in my Apache logs for that kind of file ;-) ) but it looks like =
permissions problem.

Speculation: the exectuable file is being run as a privileged user (root?=
),=20
which is rightly regarded as a security problem.

What are the permissions on the file and the directory it's in?
What user does Apache run as?

S.Mazerski