Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 1994 15:23:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      Paul J Klein <pklein@csd.uwm.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Install problems

Hello --

  I am not sure if this is the right place to send this, but here goes:

  I have installed FreeBSD on my Pentium, (Gateway2000 P5-90, STB PCI
  Video, Buslogic SCSI controller, PCI IDE controller on mthrbrd)
  but have run into a few interesting problems (concerns). I am an
  experienced UNIX user, but not a system manager!!
  (I have completed the bindist install)
  (I am installing from the Walnut Creek CD)

  1) There is no 'adduser' or 'useradd' functions. How do I create new
  accounts? Maybe this has something to do with my mount points:
    '/'
    '/usr'

  Do I require a '/usr/users' mount point?

  2) My dos partition does not show up. I called it '/dostmp'. Does it have
  to be called '/dos'? This dos partition, does NOT contain DOS, just a DOS
  file system. DOS is located on a IDE drive which I disable when I want to
  boot FreeBSD (since it is the C drive)

  3) When I try to install XFree86-3.1 from CD, it does the checksum
  verification, but when it says 'unpacking XFree86-3.1 distribution' it
  just hangs...hmmm

  4) If I want to install X now without installing everything else, I use
  the /sbin/sysinstall script, but when it comes up, none of the mount
  points are known (disklabel)... Have I done something incorrectly?

Thanks for the help,
Paul

 Paul J. Klein                               Office:                  EMS E280
 Research Assistant                           Phone:              414-229-3908
 Signal Propagation Laboratory  	        FAX:              414-229-2978
 University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee            email:        pklein@csd.uwm.edu