Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 18:40:46 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        "Richard Wackerbarth" <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Hackers" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "FreeBSD Current" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Standard Shipping Containers - A Proposal for Distributing FreeBSD

> The Distribution:
>    There are seven distribution channels upon which I will comment.
>    1) Direct access to the master tree. This really applies only
>       to the cvs tree and is "the only way to go" for commiters
>       who are well connected.
>    2) Using "mirror".
>    3) Using "mirror" with directory listing cached on the server.
>    4) Using "sup".
>    5) Using "ctm".
>    6) Using distribution tarballs.
>    7) Using the "live file system" from CD.
>
> Characteristics of the Distribution Mechanisms.
>    a) Only (1) and (2) provide "up to the minute" copies.

Not true.  If you have direct access to freefall (developers only), you
can use (4-sup) to get "up to the minute" copies of the CVS tree.
Occassionaly I re-sup the tree in the middle of the day if I want to
make sure the changes I've made are valid.

> The Proposal.
>    Since all the reasonable distribution mechanisms are based upon
>    server initiated snapshots

Since your assumptions are invalid for one of the two most common
distribution method, the rest of the proposal is not completely valid.

nate