Date:      Tue, 19 Feb 2002 13:16:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>, Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
Subject:   Re: Total system freeze; usb / uhci / ulpt broken?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Rasputin wrote:

> * Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net> [020218 13:13]:
>
> Sorry to reply to my own post, but thought I'd best mention the patchset caused me
> big trouble - the kernel won't boot past detecting the USB card
> (it finds the card, but hangs where it would normally detect ums and uplt)
> - and booting with the older kernel, then trying usbdevs -v gives:
>
> rasputin@shikima rasputin]$usbdevs -v
> Controller /dev/usb0:
> addr 1: I/O error

The patchset changes the interface between userland and the kernel, so old
kernel won't work with new utilities (and vice-versa).  Similarly, you
will need to recompile any ports you may have using ugen*.

I don't know what your main problem is though - the patchset works well
for me, but I don't normally use USB mice.  I just stole one off a windows
machine, and I can reproduce the problem - if the mouse is plugged in, the
kernel appears to hang on boot after probing uhub0, but after waiting
about 30 seconds it logs "uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1" and
then successfully probes the LPT adaptor plugged in to the other hub port.

Once booted, there are regular errors logged every few seconds until I
unplug the mouse:
  uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1
  uhub0: port error, restarting port 1

I am not sure that this problem is down to mouse support as such; I don't
have ums in my kernel, and things have gone wrong before usbd has had a
chance to auto-load it.  Maybe it's support for low-speed devices in
general that is broken?  Unfortunately I don't have any other low speed
devices to test this theory; all my keyboards are PS/2.