Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:39:24 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>
To:        freebsd ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bsdpan- to p5- migration

On Jul 17, 2007, at 9:54 PM, Peter Beckman wrote:

>  Is there a way, using portupgrade, to upgrade bsdpan-* to p5-* and
> use the
>  p5-* package, so that at the end of the process, I'm left with
> only p5-*
>  packages and not bsdpan-* packages?

The -o option to portupgrade might do it, but it won't find the
origin of the bsdpan- package so it may not know how to deal with it.

Also, some module installed with cpan/bsdpan use slightly different
names so that causes problems and there are a fair number of cpan
modules without FreeBSD ports.

I find portupgrade *so* useful for managing our software that I spend
the time to make the ports for any cpan package I need that is not
already a port.

I have banished cpan from being used on any production server except
the one we use for creating the new ports :-)