Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 2002 16:33:37 -0400
From:      "J.M. Warenda" <warendaj@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   regarding natd and FreeBSD

    Is anyone out there using a FreeBSD machine with natd on a cable modem
to hook their LAN up to the net?  I've been doing this for a while now with
FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE on my spare Pentium 166 with 64 megs of ram and two
Netgear FA311 ethernet cards.  I originally followed the documentation on
natd to set it up and I've had essentially no problems with this setup, it's
been smooth as silk, with one exception.

    If I send files or other data upstream *through* the natd system (i.e.
from a machine on the LAN to a machine elsewhere on the net) I have no
problems what so ever ... but if data is sent from the FreeBSD system
*itself* ... for instance someone remotely logging into my private FTP and
transfering data ... the connection gets totally killed.  Latency across the
natd router goes through the roof.  At first I thought I must be hitting
some kind of upstream cap, but I get much better xfer rates and no crippling
latency if I send from a machine on the LAN.

    If this is terribly obscure I appologize, but I've had this problem for
a while now and I can't quite wrap my brain around this one ... ftpd on the
natd machine sending a file to a remote client on the net cripples the
connection with latency, but sending data (for instance with an ICQ file
transfer from a windows machine on the LAN) *through* the natd router
doesn't have the same effect.  Has anyone encountered this?  Any ideas on
what might cause it and how to address it?

-John