Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 08:29:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Geoffrey C. Speicher" <geoff@sea-incorporated.com>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        Matt Simerson <freebsd@blockads.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bug in pw, freebsd 4.5

On Thu, 2 May 2002, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> Well, the stab didn't go because nobody was interested   8-)

Sorry --- I was interested, but I didn't see your original message.  This
problem has been biting me (and a client) in the ass for quite some time.

> I actually had in mind some farther-reaching changes, which would (after
> 'fixing' pw) include potentially rewriting adduser(8) and friends to
> backend into pw to; sort of consolidate the user-management stuff a bit.

While I was looking through the sources yesterday, I was wondering why so
many pieces were reimplemented time and again.  So I'd say that sounds
like a worthwhile cause.

> What do people think of using the external lock file (well, I can't
> actually think of any OTHER way to do it, so...)?  I'm thinking /var/run,
> but on the flipside just putting it in /etc might be cleaner.  Comments?

Hmm.  hier(7) describes /var/run thusly:

              run/       system information files describing various info
                         about system since it was booted

I guess it could be easily argued that "the password file is currently
locked" describes information about the system since it was booted.  :)

Geoff