Date:      27 Apr 2001 13:40:05 -0500
From:      Tim Ayers <tayers@bridge.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How to run multiple Apache processes?

>> We do this all the time so that different developers don't clobber
>> each other. You need to have each Apache set-up running on (listening
>> to) a different port. You should probably also give everyone their own
>> ServerRoot and DocumentRoot to prevent collisions.
>>
J> Do you have a /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh for each user?

Essentially. We really have one script that acts like apache.sh but
knows about all the different variations.

>> Then to access their website they need to go to
>> http://www.freeze.org:80xx/

J> I understand this is good for developers, but
J> what about users who want to have access to
J> their site via http://<theirdomain.com>/ without
J> having to specifiy the port? Is there a way
J> around this?

It sounds more and more like you really want to just use VirtualHosts
as Mike Meyer's been suggesting. DirectoryIndex and AddType can
definitely be used from .htaccess files. Almost anything that goes in
the config file can be controlled from .htaccess. I've never used PHP
(I use mod_perl and Mason), but since PHP is an Apache Foundation
project I would be surprised if its directives didn't work from
.htaccess also. At worst I bet they work from the VirtualHosts
sections. It doesn't seem like you'd need to be changing the include
directory very often.

Good luck and
Hope you have a very nice day, :-)
Tim Ayers (tayers@bridge.com)