Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:44:49 -0500
From:      Alexander Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>
To:        "Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de>
Cc:        marc@bowtie.nl, java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Re: performance results of 1.3.1 hotspot]

On 27 Feb 2003 18:37:19 +0100
"Georg-W. Koltermann" <g.w.k@web.de> wrote:
> 1.3.1 with hotspot is a real hog during startup - it gets better after
> a while.  I know that well from working in Together, it takes
> literally several minutes to start up.  Still, after the startup phase
> 1.3.1-hotspot ich *much* faster (subjective impression while working
> in Together) than -classic with some other JIT (tya, OpenJIT).

I can definitely confirm this observation. I am using Eclipse and it
takes a long time to start up, and every function is slow when executed
for the first time. It gets much better on consequent executions.

1.4.2p3 feels much snappier than 1.3.1p8 with native threads and
hotspot, but I have no hard numbers to back this impression up.

--
Alexander Kabaev