Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 12:30:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new port of f2c and a f77 wrapper.

According to David O'Brien:
> > I have submitted a port of f2c and a new f77 wrapper for f2c+gcc.
>
> You might want to just call it ``fc'' and not alias it to f77.  I have
> used f77 in the base system rather than g77.

It does.

I have named the port f77-freebsd because everyone will recognize
``f77'' as a fortran compiler.  However, the port allows one to
set F77NAME to whatever they want to call the wrapper.  By default,
I have set ``F77NAME = fc'', so you'll get ${PREFIX}/bin/fc and
${PREFIX}/man/man1/fc.1.

Note, also, that f2c-freebsd is a port of f2c. ;-)  It does not
depend on f77-freebsd.  This means someone can install f2c (and
its support libraries) without worrying about how my wrapper works.
The f77-freebsd port, however, depends on f2c-freebsd  and it
will install f2c-freebsd if ${PREFIX}/bin/f2c is not found.

PS: I saw you g77 commits, and thought it was time to send-pr the
    ports.  I did not contact you to commit the ports, because I
    assume you've had enough Fortran Abuse(tm) to last a lifetime.

PPS: If you're ever in Seattle, stop by the University of Washington.
     I'll treat you to lunch and beer.
--
Steve