Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 1996 13:24:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        michaelv@MindBender.serv.net (Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com)
Cc:        scrappy@ki.net, smp@csn.net, smp@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GigaByte GA-586DX-512 Motherboard

> >>I recommend 64meg of parity.  Don't really have direct knowledge of EDO vs not.
>
> >	Hrmmm...I had thought that EDO RAM was better because it had
> >'on chip' cache or something like that ...
>
> Uh, no.  EDO RAM simply takes less clock cycles per access than
> standard (or FPM) RAM.

You should go read some technical specifications before you make such
statements.  The actual access time changes very very little between
EDO (``Extended Data Out'') and FPM (``Fast Page Mode'').  The only
real effective difference is that EDO memory holds it's data outputs
valid after CAS goes back high, allowing a wider and slopper data
latching.  This _can_ lead to elimination of wait states in poor designs,
but does zilch in good designs, since good designs don't need the added
15nS of valid data out as they latch the data in the 5 to 6nS window
you get when running FPM at minimum timings.

Note that the cycle time for EDO vs FPM is IDENTICAL for every manufactures
data sheet I have looked at.  Real memory bandwidth is a direct function of
cycle time, and has nothing to do with access times.  Access times are for
wimps, real memory designers work with cycle times :-) :-).

You can not transfer 1MB of data out of EDO memory any faster than you
can transfer 1MB of data out of FPM.  Period.  Look over the data sheets,
study memory design, _know_ before you speak.

Also note that the ``access'' time difference is usually less than 5nS and
due to other timing constraints you can rarely if ever take advantage of
this.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD