Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 21:14:37 +0200
From:      Dancho Penev <dpenev@mail.bg>
To:        Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Wrong Timestamps in /var/log/messages from ipmon

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 04:10:42PM +1100, Murray Taylor wrote:
>From: Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
>To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
>Subject: Wrong Timestamps in /var/log/messages from ipmon
>Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:10:42 +1100
>
>Using
>
>ipmon -Dsv
>
>We were seeing timestamps in /var/log/messages that were 11 hours out from our
>real timezone... other messages (interspersed) from other programs were
>correctly timestamped.
>Date was returning the correct time, and we are running xntpd against our
>timeserver.
>
>We reset the /etc/locatime via /stand/sysinstall then killed ipmon and
>restarted it and all the timestamps are now correct.. Any ideas.. ?

Which timestamps ? Can you show messages ?
Note that in log message you have two timestamps:
1. The time when ipmon log to syslogd
2. The time when ipfilter log to /dev/ipl

When ipmon is run it read ipl buffer and log messages if there is any,
and they may be from 11 seconds, 11 hours or 11 days ...

>FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE
>

>Murray Taylor
>Special Projects Engineer
>---------------------------------