Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 13:11:45 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        "'Justin T. Gibbs'" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Subject:   RE: On-board adaptec 7880 gives Illegal cable configuration error

Dear Justin,

> >Problem is, there is only a single on-board connector, so
> there is no way
> >for me to change the cabling.
>
> Here's the deal.  The aic7xxx driver can't tell if cable detection is
> implemented in any given aic7xxx application (it requires
> logic external
> to the chip).  But, the driver assumes that this logic must exist if
> the serial eeprom dictates "automatic termination".  For your
> motherboard,
> automatic termination makes little sense.  You have one connector and
> unless the controller is in the middle of a bus that is
> elsewhere terminated, termination should be enabled.

This did indeed solve the issue of the illegal cable configuration. Thanks
for the quick response. I used the built-in SCSI-select utility to set the
termination and the message went away.

> >FreeBSD hangs after finding the plip0 device, so I cannot
> install FreeBSD on
> >this machine. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I can't say if your hang is SCSI related or caused by some
> other issue.

I'm not sure it's not SCSI related. The ahc0 controller is detected, but no
disks. The boot process hangs at the stage were I'd expect the disks to be
probed.

I'm off to check the disk termination. Meanwhile, any other suggestions?
Needless to say Windows works. :-(

    Kees Jan