Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 22:42:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime <jaime@snowmoon.com>
To:        "Kirk R.Wythers" <kwythers@umn.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.5 - >4.6 stable, lost users and passwords

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Kirk R.Wythers wrote:
> I just did the whole cvsup, make world, mergemaster thing... So far as I can
> tell, all of my user files in ~/ are there (single user workstation), but I
> my username is not recognized, and I can't su to root. If I login as root, no
> password is required. I'm not at the machine in question right now, but as I
> am writing this it seems as if the password file is gone (I may have messed
> up with mergemaster).

	Sounds like your /etc/group and /etc/master.passwd and /etc/passwd
files were replaced with the "new install" defaults.  Either (a) repalce
them with your originals from some backups and read /usr/src/UPDATING very
closely for entries replating to the sendmail changes or just login as
root, use passwd to set a new root password, add your own account to
/etc/group in the line that begins with "wheel", use adduser to re-create
your account, etc.

							Good luck,
							Jaime