Date:      Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:11:02 -0600
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Adding Static Routes

	I am trying to add a static route from an otherwise
properly running FreeBSD system to a hidden network.

	After reading the man page on route, it appears that it
isn't much different than what works under Solaris so I tried the
following command:

route add -static x.x.x.0 hiddennet-router-interface -hopcount 1 255.255.x.x

	x.x.x.0 = a network number and 255.255.x.x is a subnet
mask.

	Nothing happens, but the command yields a response from
the system of

add host x.x.x.0: gateway [router address]

	This is a route to a whole network through a router.

	The system has a default router added in /etc/rc.conf and
this all works perfectly and I want to continue using that route.
The static route I want to add is not advertised so it must be
manually added.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Network Operations Group