Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:00:34 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        chris@calldei.com
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mentioning RFC numbers in /etc/services

In message <19990724082555.A40344@holly.dyndns.org> Chris Costello writes:
:    Are you going to be listing all the RFCs that apply?  For
: example, DNS is 1033, 1034, and 1035, and NNTP is 0850 and 0977.

DNS is also 1123 and a few others in the 2xxx range.  Then again, a
lot are 1123 :-)  NNTP should just list 977, however, since it
obsoletes earlier RFCs.  The net news format RFC isn't relevant to
/etc/services, much like RFC 822 wouldn't be the one to list for smtp
(since it describes the message format, not the protocol for smtp).
For smtp, one of the RFCs would be RFC 823.  (I just hope that I've
not accidentally reversed those two RFCs).

Warner