Date:      Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:15:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Radhika Sambamurti <radhika_narendran@yahoo.com>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>, Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advocacy help for CS professor

This is a passionate subject. All I can say is that it is
amazing that in this world, superior technology has nothing
to do with popularity. What I'm trying to say is that when
Microsoft thwarts others from entering the software realm,
it is acting as a bouncer. It is a muscleman not letting
people in. It is NOT the better technology, but it is using
the system around it to maintain its status-quo and that is
dangerous. Here is a link to a small-ish write up about
open-source that opened my eyes. It is not a diatribe at
all, but a very balanced look at the benefits of open
software and innovation that occurs from it and where we
would all be today without it. I couldn't have put it
better.

http://www.xiph.org/about.html

enjoy,
Radhika

--- John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com> wrote:

> Oh boy, I fought with this type all the way through
> engineering school.
> Yet another CS professor who sees the glitzy surface and
> the commercial
> success yet ignores the sloppy underpinnings (He's
> probably a DCOM expert,
> right?) and the havoc M$ is wreaking on this planet right
> now.
>
> I've found it worthless to try to reason with these
> people on technical
> grounds - if they were interested in technical acumen,
> they wouldn't be
> arguing with you anyway.
>
> There are only 3 arguments that can help you at this
> point:
>
> * M$ is a convicted monpolist who has broken the law
> several times and has
>   been convicted of same. They should be treated
> accordingly.
>
> * Ask this "professor" what happens in the wild when one
> species has
>   gained utter and complete control of a biota and is
> then summarily wiped
>   out by some sort of disease? The only safe network is a
> heterogenous
>   network. The fact that one opsys controls the desktop
> of 95% of the
>   world's, businesses' and governments' desktops gives me
> the willies and
>   is just plain wrong.
>
> * Ask him why exactly he would support a defacto,
> corprate-installed
>   standard rather than a widely-agreed upon public
> standard that all
>   opsys's could communicate with.
>
> I'm a unix enthusiast, but an open-standards zealot. The
> problem is,
> you've dropped this question in a newsgroup to a bunch of
> people who
> probably couldn't care if some sequestered academic
> thinks M$ has better
> products just because they were able to buy the market
> ;-)
>
> JB
>
> On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Charles Burns wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:41:47 -0700
> > From: Charles Burns <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
> > To: questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> > Subject: Advocacy help for CS professor
> >
> > I have a CD professor who has a masters in CS and EET
> from a top 50
> > university yet is enveloped in the Microsoft way of
> life. While this isn't
> > necessarily a bad thing, he is indirectly advocating
> Windows over Unix for
> > all tasks based on knowledge from the Unix of years
> ago. Alot has changed!
> > Showing him that Unix (BSD/Linux, etc) make a great
> server is easy, but Unix
> > is now a great desktop platform as well. This is what I
> need help with. I
> > have written several advocacy messages myself, but they
> are typically
> > targeted to people setting up servers.
> >
> > I would like to make some specific arguments that will
> show him that Unix is
> [...]
message

=====
It's all a matter of perspective. You can choose your view by choosing where to stand.
--Larry Wall