Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:07:01 -0700
From:      "fbsd" <fbsd@wbs-inc.com>
To:        "Faisal Gillani" <fasi_74@yahoo.com>, "FreeBSD" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ports information & removal

4 - ports and packages are related but different.  FreeBSD has a package
system and there are many popular packages on the FreeBSD CDROM.  The
difference is that packages come pre-compiled - ports come as source that
must be compiled.
3 - When you do 'make' on a port that has dependancies it automatically
fetches, builds and installs the dependancy.  If you watch closely you can
see that it is doing this.
2 - go to the directory in the ports tree for the port you want to uninstall
and type 'make deinstall'.  There are other commands to reclaim the disk
space if you want to really clean things out.  see 'man ports'.
1 - When ports are installed they register in the package management system.
pkg_info will give you information about installed packages including ports.
I don't know how to distinguish which packages were installed as ports and
which as packages other than looking in /usr/ports/distfiles for the tarball
or in the work directory for that port in the ports tree, but these will not
tell you anything if the port has been cleaned with 'make clean' and 'make
distclean' after installation.