Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:42:38 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels

In message <14698.17321.468903.642899@onceler.kcilink.com> Vivek Khera writes:
: So if I don't have a "buildworld" /usr/obj tree sitting around, I am
: not supported to build a new kernel for my existing system, say, to
: add a new SCSI controller to a server?

No.  You misunderstand.  The buildkernel is only needed when you are
updating your kernel.  If you do not update the sources via cvs, cvsup
or other means, then you can just cd to the src/compile/FOO directory
and build it again after you configured.  This is needed only for
upgrades when you have updated your sources.  Sometimes you can get
away without doing this, but if you can't then please try the official
way before posting bug reports.

Warner