Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:21:52 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mathias_K=F6rber?= <mathias@koerber.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More partitions on a single slice?

On Sunday, 12 November 2000 at 14:14:51 +0800, Mathias Körber wrote:
>> On Sunday, 12 November 2000 at 12:54:50 +0800, Mathias Koerber wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am familiar with Linux, and just trying to install FreeBSD on my new
>>> notebook.
>>
>> Is that the Vaio you were showing around on Friday evening?  You could
>> have asked me then :-)
>
> No, this is the DELL, and I decided to put up FreeBSD only
> yesterday.

Ah.

>>> The FreeBSD Manual on one hand explains that it is better having
>>> separate filesystems for /var, /tmp etc.
>>
>> And the "Complete FreeBSD" on the other hand recommends as few as
>> possible.
>
> But why?

I'm attaching a draft of the corresponding text from the coming fourth
edition of "The Complete FreeBSD".  This isn't set in stone, and
detailed comments are welcome.

>>>     /tmp
>>
>> This can be mfs, which doesn't use a partition.
>
> I like /tmp which survives a reboot. Sometimes I need the data
> there. This is one reason I dislike cleaning /tmp of new files at
> startup. I only clean /tmp-files older than 14 days.

If you want a /tmp which survives a reboot, why have separate /tmp and
/var/tmp?  You could make /tmp a symlink to /var/tmp.

>>>     /usr/local
>>
>> Is there a reason why this can't be a symlink to /home/local?
>
> I could do that, but I consider this ugly. /home is really for
> users. I agree on my notebook this may not matter much, but for
> other machines?

The /home *hierarchy is* for users.  It doesn't have to be the same as
the /home file system.  And yes, where you have a special need, this
recommendation doesn't apply.  My main concern is that people who
don't do careful planning (and that's most of us, myself definitely
included :-) end up with suboptimal layouts.  /var is a particular
problem: some people use less than 1 MB on /var, others use several
GB.

BTW, note that /usr is *not* for users.  That shows fairly clearly how
things have changed over the years.

>>> and potentially more.
>>
>> I'd be interested in why.  All this does is give you the opportunity
>> to fill up one file system while having plenty of space in the
>> others.  Symlinks are a workaround when you get to this situation, but
>> not a solution.  In your particular case, I can see a case for:
>
> I like partitioning off this data to prevent eating others' (other
> users', applications' etc) space. If I use symlinks this happens more
> easily.

That's what quotas are for.

> Yes, it's a tradeoff between optimal use of available space and
> some protection between different users, groups, applications etc.
>
> eg: On a mailserver /var/spool/mqueue is its own partition (or better
> volume if a volume manager is available) to avoid filling up /var
> with mails so that the log-messages in /var/log cannot even be
> written out !

Agreed, servers are a special case (and yes, I've seen laptop based
servers :-) In any such case, you need to consider exactly what you're
doing, based on actual and expected load amongst other things.

>>> And no, I do not want to scarifice another slice (BIOS partition) as
>>> I need that for Linux.
>>
>> Ah.  You can't have your cake and eat it.
>
> But in Linux I can: Up to 23 partitions in the BIOS extended partition?

Well, I think of Linux as something like a hermit crab, living in
other operating systems' partitions.

With Vinum you could have several thousand.  It's only limited by the
length of the configuration information, and even that is a soft
limit.

>> I suppose one way round this "problem" would be to use vinum, which
>> allows you to define an arbitrary number of volumes.  But I still
>> suspect that you're basing your requirements on incorrect assumptions.
>
> I just dislike that the O/S tells me how to partition it and has
> low, hard limits.

All OSs tell you how to partition.  The limits are a reasonable
compromise, and you can work around them if you want.  I still don't
think it's a good idea.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.