Date:      Sun, 18 Mar 2001 05:51:58 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <hornback@wireco.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: fxp vs xl: should I buy 3c905B or wait for a Intel PRO 100+

	I really have to argue with this one here.  Clients of mine have had
problems galore with the RealTek based cards.  The DEC21143 may be a good
NIC platform, but my personal "weapon of choice" is the SMC 9432TX.  These
cards perform flawlessly under any OS that I've installed them with
(FreeBSD, NT, 2000, 95, 98, Linux and even Solaris!) and have amazing
performance, even on a 10 Base T hub.  To top it all off, these cards are
relatively cheap.  The last few that I picked up were $5 each (at auction)
in OEM packaging with original manuals and driver diskettes.  Can't get 10
Base T NICs for prices like that, much less 10/100s.

--- Andy