Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 1995 09:12:34 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        uh@grep.cs.fsu.edu (Gang-Ryung Uh)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet 2p

As Gang-Ryung Uh wrote:

> I am having some trouble with the HP Laserjet 2p printer.
> But it prints the file but not a correct format. .

What is ``not a correct format''?

AFAIK, Laserjets don't like Un*x files which used to have only a
single \n as their line terminators.  I've heard that there might be a
hardware switch to change this behaviour.

The simplest script to do this

	sed -e 's/$/^M/'

where ^M must be replaced by a real carriage return:

	sed -e 's/$/
/'

Put this into a script, make it executable, and make this one go into
the ``if'' resource of your printcap file.

If you're more cautious, check out if the script has been called with
a ``-c'' as its first argument, it means to pass the control
characters literally (from `lpr -l').  In this case, the filter must
degrade to a simple `cat'.

Sorry, there's still no ``printer guru'' available.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/